Thursday, September 3, 2009

Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art


Today I visited the Weisman museum on the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is a beautiful day to visit a museum. There were no big crowds at the museum and because of that I could wonder around and look at the different pieces as long as I needed or wanted too.

Walking up to the museum I was very impressed with it's outside appearance. It sort of feels like you are going to walk into a large crumpled up piece of tin foil. With the sun hitting its exterior at the right angle, the glare could blind you because it is so shiny. I loved it instantly. So many strange angles are jutting out of the side, but there are also curved areas which give it a softer look. I like how the entire outside of the museum is a piece of art itself.

The two main displays that I was there to see was the Somali Dispora and Au Courant: Robert Raushenberg's Currents. Both were very interesting and gave a perspective that you wouldn't normally think about.

There were two photographs in the Somali display that I liked the best. One was of a girl, who looked to be about 13 years old, practicing her saxophone. Her brother, who looked about 11 years old, was sitting behind her and watching. I thought it was very interesting to see what a different life style that this girl and her brother are living compared to the home they had back in Somalia. There were many photos showing both life at home in Somalia and the new conditions here in the United States. The second photo that I really liked was a group of five women, standing in a circle, doing some sort of traditional dance with their hands decorated in henna. If you don't know what henna is, it is a paste made up from ground roots. You apply the henna to your skin and allow it to dry. After it is dry a stain is left on your skin. This is a very beautiful art form that many cultures use for celebrations.

The next display that I saw, the Au Courant, was very interesting. I liked how Robert Raushenberg took articles from local papers and arranged them in a way which makes you think about what is happening in the world around you. Of course he was taking these from news papers quite a ways back, so the "current events" are now things in our history books.

I've included a few photos from my visit to this museum. I hope you enjoy looking at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment